Family Kin 2015
Family Kin is offered to children who have previously enjoyed the Visiting Cousins experience. Participants are between the ages of 12 and 15. Family Kin participants choose the trade or skill they remember as a favourite from their stay as a Visiting Cousin. Kings Landing has skilled artisans practicing a wide range of trades and crafts to challenge these young apprentices. The Family Kin program is offered for only two weeks at the end of the summer:
o August 10-14
Please Contact Programming Coordinator: Pam.Gilbert2@gnb.ca (506)363-4954 for registration forms.
In Kings Landing’s One-Room Schoolhouse
Already accepted into the program? Here is some important information in preparation for your visit: What to Bring… (and what not to bring!)
- At least 8 pairs of navy, black or dark brown socks. *Note: girls socks should be knee-high.
- Your child will be walking through our village each day and this can sometimes lead to chafing. We recommend that you send a pair of spandex or close fitting shorts to wear under their costume.
- One pair thin-soled black or brown slip-on or lace-up shoes or boots, very plain in style (no designs, buckles, etc.). **Note: We strongly recommend that your child break in their shoes before they come to prevent sore feet and blisters!
- Sleeping bag, cotton sheet and pillow.
- Limited extra clothing (for emergencies only): Bring one pair of pants and top, one pair of shorts and top, a warm sweater or a jacket. A raincoat and rubber boots are optional for use in the early mornings for walking to the farm to do chores.
- Toiletry items (shampoo, soap, comb/brush, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, personal hygiene items), towels and facecloths.
- Do not bring modern items such as watches, money, cell phones, any electronic tablets, gaming or music devices (ex. ipod, psp, etc.), laptops, cameras, makeup, magazines, snacks or treats. We ask that you do not leave any of these items with your child for the week. If any of the listed items are discovered through the week, they will be locked up and returned on Friday.
- Hairdryers are acceptable. (straightening irons are not)
- Books, Journals or diaries are encouraged for use in the dormitories.
- Jewellery, including earrings, is not worn with our costumes. Medic Alert and glasses are the exceptions
Conditions of Enrollment for Visiting Cousins at Kings Landing Historical Settlement:
- The parent(s)/guardian(s) submitting the registration form are those having legal custody over the child. Conditions of custody, if applicable, will be fully communicated in writing to Kings Landing.
- While every precaution shall be taken to ensure the good welfare and protection of the camper, Kings Landing, its management and employees are hereby released of any and all liability in the event of any accident or misfortune that may occur to the applicant.
- Kings Landing reserves the right to send campers home for behavior that is inappropriate and/or which is deemed to be a hazard to the safety and rights of others, at the cost of parent(s)/guardian(s), and without refund.
- The signature of the parent/guardian on the registration form shall give the Management of Kings Landing Historical Settlement the right to arrange for any special services or other requirements necessary for the camper’s welfare and good health including ordering injection, anesthesia or surgery. In such a situation, Kings Landing will attempt to notify the parent(s)/guardian(s) as soon as possible. The parent(s)/guardian(s) are responsible for any additional expense that may result from such services.
- As a major tourist attraction, Kings Landing requires a photographic release for all moving and still images of your child taken by visitors, staff or professionals for either personal or corporate use. The signature of the parent/guardian on the registration form shall release Kings Landing Corporation from any payment or liability in the use of your child’s image in any form of promotion as determined by the management of the Corporation.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event of cancellation, the deposit of $150.00 is considered a processing fee and will not be refunded. There will be no refund for cancellations made within 30 days of the first day of week applied for, unless the cancellation request is accompanied by a physician’s letter.
- Refund Policy: There is no refund once camp starts. No refund will be made for dismissal due to disciplinary action, late arrival and early departure (i.e. homesickness). In the case of withdrawal from camp on physician’s orders, a credit will be issued for the equivalent of the unused portion of the camp term.
Young Family Kin participants with the oxen team
Photography by Hemmings House Pictures