Paint The Past
Plein Air Festival September 15-17
In support of Kings Landing
Charity BN/ Registration: #848479036RR0001
Registration is Open
Dates are September 15-17, 2017. It is an open call and 40 artists will be selected by jurors to participate.Download Registration Form
During Paint The Past, you’ll be transported back in time to 19th-century New Brunswick to capture moments rich in history. Visitors will be fascinated to see your work in-progress!
In the 19th century, people came together to help with big jobs, like chopping the winter wood, raising a barn, making a quilt and more. The group worked hard to complete their task, then celebrate with music and dance. Artists are welcome to capture those moments or join in themselves.
See Events Calendar
The Kings Landing Foundation
Established in 2013, the Kings Landing Foundation is a charitable foundation created to support Kings Landing financially to ensure stories of New Brunswick’s first settlers will be preserved for generations to come. This festival will encourage visitors to see artists in action and provide an opportunity for you to sell your work at Kings Landing.
Registration – $30.00 (non-refundable)
Artists may enter Kings Landing on Friday, September 15th through the Welcome Centre to scout out possible locations to paint. Admission staff will be provided with the list of artists selected by the jurors to paint in the festival to ensure all artists selected to participate in Paint the Past receive free admission once the registration fee is paid. No painting may begin until canvasses are stamped and dated.
Registration will be at the King’s Head Inn from 8:30 am until 2:00 pm. Artists may pick up their registration package and have their canvases or any surface on which they intend to paint stamped and dated. Artists are limited to six canvasses, panels, or papers and all must receive the official stamp at registration.
All paintings must be done “en Plein Air” during the festival without the aid of photography, and with an 18″ x 24″ maximum size. All submitted artwork must be framed, wired, or able to hand to be included in the reception and sale. Artists may enter Kings Landing and begin painting during open hours (10:00 am – 5:00 pm).
1st Place: $1,000 plus designation of “Artist in Residence” for 12 months
2nd Place: $500
3rd Place: $250
Paint the Past is a JURIED exhibition. The panel will review all submitted applications and invite selected artists to participate in the event. For a non-refundable entry fee of $30, applicants submit at least three (3) digital images of their work. Images should be saved as a separate .jpeg file at least 150 dpi, each labelled with the artist’s name, the title of the piece, dimensions, medium and substrate (e.g., Claude Monet “Water Lilies” 17x9x12 oil on panel). No single file should exceed 2mb in size. All images must be of original “plein air” artwork, created by the applicant artist within the past two years. Entries must be submitted by August 15, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the words “Paint the Past” in the subject line.
Mail the application, artist bio and signed agreement to Kings Landing to 5804 Route 102 Prince William, NB E6K 0A5 * Email Jeff.Mccarthy@gnb.ca *
The registration fee of 30$ is payable upon arrival.
Notification of selected artists will be sent to all applicants via email no later than August 22, 2017. Artists will set the price for their work. A 40% commission on all artwork sold will be retained by Kings Landing Foundation, with event sales handled by Kings Landing. Payment to artists for work sold at Kings Landing will be mailed within a month of the sale.Download Registration Form
Admission to Kings Landing
Kings Landing is a living history museum and a signature tourist attraction in Canada. It is open to visitors 7 days a week from early June to Canadian Thanksgiving in October.
Registered artists to Paint the Past will be given free admission to the Kings Landing for September 15-17, 2017. Any friends and family members accompanying the artist will enter through the Welcome Centre during open hours, 10 am to 5 pm, and pay regular admission. There will be no extra charge for artists’ guests to attend the reception and sale on September 17th which takes place at 5:30 pm at MacBeath Hall in the Welcome Centre.
- Entry Deadline: August 15, 2017
- Jury Notifications: August 22, 2017
- Artist Registration: Saturday, September 16, 2017, from 8:30 am – 2:00 pm at the King’s Head Inn. Artists will receive their registration package, have their canvasses, panels, papers, etc. stamped. Artists may paint during open hours, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Artwork information tags (included in the packet) must be filled out for each painting.
- Reception & Sale: Sunday, September 17; artists need to begin preparing their artwork for display and sale by 3:00 pm. Judging for prizes begins at 4:00 pm and Reception & Sale begins at 5:30 pm. Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at the beginning of the Reception & Sale.
The Harvest Jazz & Blues Festival in Fredericton will be going on September 12-17, 2017. Artists will be wise to make reservations for accommodations early. This is a huge festival that draws thousands of visitors. Artists that wish to arrive early to attend their events may check on the festival schedule at www.harvestjazzandblues.com.
- Riverside Resort & Conference Centre is located at 25 French Village Road in Mactaquac, just a few minutes drive from Kings Landing (506-363-5111). The hotel has rooms, suites, bar and restaurant. They will hold a block of rooms for artists in Paint the Past until mid-August, 2017 at the reduced rate of $99 per room night.
- On the Pond Lodge is near Mactaquac Provincial Park (trails, camping, golf), has 8 rooms each with double and queen beds. Breakfast and dinner may be arranged for (506-363-3420). Call for pricing.
- Fredericton Accommodations can be reviewed at www.tourismfredericton.ca.
- Camping – Woolastook Park, Mactaquac Park and other locations are listed in the tourism information.
- Kings Landing has two large rooms with bunk beds in The Slipp House. Artists may have full access to the Slipp House at no charge but must bring their own sleeping bag, pillow, sheet, towels and toiletries. Kitchen and shower facilities are available in the Slipp House.
Artists participating in Paint the Past will be provided with a boxed lunch on both September 16 and 17. Very nearby Kings Landing is the Acorn Restaurant.Download Registration Form