The Visiting Cousins program operates 7 weeks through the summer school break. During their stay, participants act as visiting relatives to Kings Landings families, dress in period costume and participate in as many 19th century activities as possible, associated with one of the historic homes in the village. Necessary life skills are practiced, including cooking, butter making, needlepoint, wool processing, working with the blacksmith, cooper, carpenter, sawyer and farmer. They also attend the 1840 one-room schoolhouse each day.
Their day starts early with structured activities before they enter the historical settlement and continues into the evening with games, songs and drama. Visiting Cousins have so much fun they don’t realize they are learning history. They make lasting friendships with children from across North America and beyond.
Visiting Cousins is offered to children between the ages of 9 and 15.
The following weeks are being offered for Visiting Cousins in 2013:
June 24-28 (FULL)
July 1-5 (FULL)
July 8-12 (FULL)
July 15-19 (FULL)
July 22-26 (FULL)
July 29 – August 2 (FULL)
August 5-9 (FULL)
Visiting Cousins 2013 Registration Form (PDF)
Contact Program Coordinator:
Visiting Cousins at Kings Landing doing chores
Already accepted into the program? Here is some important information in preparation for your visit:
What to Bring… (and what not to bring!)
- At least 8 pairs of navy, black or dark brown socks. *Note: girls socks should be knee-high.
- Your child will be walking through our village each day and this can sometimes lead to chafing. We recommend that you send a pair of spandex or close fitting shorts to wear under their costume.
- One pair thin-soled black or brown slip-on or lace-up shoes or boots, very plain in style (no designs, buckles, etc.). **Note: We strongly recommend that your child break in their shoes before they come to prevent sore feet and blisters!
- Sleeping bag, cotton sheet and pillow.
- Limited extra clothing (for emergencies only): Bring one pair of pants and top, one pair of shorts and top, a warm sweater or a jacket. A raincoat and rubber boots are optional for use in the early mornings for walking to the farm to do chores.
- Toiletry items (shampoo, soap, comb/brush, deodorant, toothbrush, toothpaste, personal hygiene items), towels and facecloths.
- Do not bring modern items such as watches, money, cell phones, any electronic tablets, gaming or music devices (ex. ipod, psp, etc.), laptops, cameras, makeup, magazines, snacks or treats. We ask that you do not leave any of these items with your child for the week. If any of the listed items are discovered through the week, they will be locked up and returned on Friday.
- Hairdryers are acceptable. (straightening irons are not)
- Books, Journals or diaries are encouraged for use in the dormitories.
- Jewellery, including earrings, is not worn with our costumes. Medic Alert and glasses are the exceptions
Conditions of Enrolment for Visiting Cousins at Kings Landing Historical Settlement:
- The parent(s)/guardian(s) submitting the registration form are those having legal custody over the child. Conditions of custody, if applicable, will be fully communicated in writing to Kings Landing.
- While every precaution shall be taken to ensure the good welfare and protection of the camper, Kings Landing, its management and employees are hereby released of any and all liability in the event of any accident or misfortune that may occur to the applicant.
- Kings Landing reserves the right to send campers home for behavior that is inappropriate and/or which is deemed to be a hazard to the safety and rights of others, at the cost of parent(s)/guardian(s), and without refund.
- The signature of the parent/guardian on the registration form shall give the Management of Kings Landing Historical Settlement the right to arrange for any special services or other requirements necessary for the camper’s welfare and good health including ordering injection, anesthesia or surgery. In such a situation, Kings Landing will attempt to notify the parent(s)/guardian(s) as soon as possible. The parent(s)/guardian(s) are responsible for any additional expense that may result from such services.
- As a major tourist attraction, Kings Landing requires a photographic release for all moving and still images of your child taken by visitors, staff or professionals for either personal or corporate use. The signature of the parent/guardian on the registration form shall release Kings Landing Corporation from any payment or liability in the use of your child’s image in any form of promotion as determined by the management of the Corporation.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event of cancellation, the deposit of $150.00 is considered a processing fee and will not be refunded. There will be no refund for cancellations made within 30 days of the first day of week applied for, unless the cancellation request is accompanied by a physician’s letter.
- Refund Policy: There is no refund once camp starts. No refund will be made for dismissal due to disciplinary action, late arrival and early departure (i.e. homesickness). In the case of withdrawal from camp on physician’s orders, a credit will be issued for the equivalent of the unused portion of the camp term.
Visiting Cousin at Kings Landing
Photography by Hemmings House Pictures